Sunday 2 December 2012

KELLY MCMAHON

I had the great pleasure of meeting this lovely and  talented girl in Melbourne recently, and I have to say she is every bit as happy and entertaining as her amazing creative work.  She was like a smiling bundle of positive energy and talent.

For more information on this talented girl, check out her facebook page and website for some cheeky goodness



What did you study at university?
I studied a Bachelor of Visual Communication and Design at Monash University, and a diploma of Graphic Design at RMIT

What direction are you looking to go in your career?
I would love to work in the Advertising or fashion industry as there is a lot of room for creativity and inventiveness, however as long as I am able to work in a creative and stimulating job, I would be happy.

Do you prefer Photography or Graphic design as a career path?
I prefer graphic design as a job - I love the technicalities of it as well as the creative process involved. Few people realize that graphics design is everywhere you look, and a big part of most things you will come across. Design has so many different meanings and it goes across so many different fields.

For example: Graphic Design is part of: Advertising, packaging design, identity design, fashion, magazines, online, billboards etc. Without graphic design most industries would not be able to survive, as it is a key asset to a company’s sales and future.

If I had to choose a path for my career, I would go with packaging design, as you have to ability to be extremely creative and you are given the flexibility to be free with the design. Identity design is another path I would be interested in looking into, as you are able to produce the entire creative concept from scratch.

What work have you done?
I have worked on a various freelance jobs in graphic design and photography. I had the pleasure of rebranding coutouring.com and Poshgully Homeweares, as well as other identity designs for a few photographers. I have also had the pleasure of doing a number of test shoots with BGM Models Jess K, Keira, Ella , Tamara and Amelia as well as Melbourne band Alex Anonymous and an editorial for clothing designer Cathleen Jia.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I find most of my inspiration from the 1960’s, I love all the type design and advertising from that era, and the photographers are phenomenal. I particularly love old school glamour.

From this era I love Georg Jensen. His designs are sleek, elegant and simple. I also find creative inspiration from Alannah Hill – her designs are feminine and elegant, and never go out of fashion.

I also draw inspiration from my Travels, I find almost everything interesting over seas I am drawn in by the smallest variations to what we see every day at home. I particularly find Paris and London a great point of reference, the have such a rich history.

What graphic designers do you draw inspiration from?
I love Juliet Taylor – a Sydney based designer – her work is everywhere, over an extremely broad spectrum. She mixes photography and graphic design, and has the most amazing concepts.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment